The best example for defining multiple domains to an LPAR would be to provide
additional resources for peak periods.  Specifically, LPAR 5 might normally run
as a test or development LPAR and be associated with Domain 5.  However,
there may be periods where the production LPARs might not provide sufficient
resources (say the holiday shopping period) and the test z/OS system running
in LPAR 5 would be shut down, and a production image started, using domain
6.  The master keys associated with the test system would be preserved in
Domain 5, and be available when the LPAR is switched back to the test
system, however, while running the production workload it would have access
to the production master keys stored in Domain 6.

When LPAR 5 has both domain 5 and 6 assigned, then the ICSF parms for the
test system would have to specify DOMAIN(5) and the ICSF parms for the
additional production system would have to specify DOMAIN(6).

I am not aware of a way to determine the Domain number, but its an
interesting requirement.  I would think that selecting/assigning a domain at
the DR site would be covered in the planning phase. In most cases, they can
probably assign the domain that you want.  In the rare cases where they
can't (another customer who uses the same domain is performing a DR at the
same time on the same machine) then the DR provider should tell you that
today you're using Domain 10, and you'll have to change the Options data
set.  Whether the DR provider tells you, or you query the environment, either
way, you have to update the options data set.  It might save you a false
start on starting ICSF, but you wouldn't need to reIPL, simply update the
options and start ICSF again.

Greg Boyd
IBM WSC, System z Crypto