Peter, I can't actually answer your questions, which remind me of 'Why
can't you remember to wipe your feet on the way in?', which we all
recognize not as a question but really a complaint.  ;-)

So let me answer the unasked Question #3: Is there any workaround?

Answer: I actually learned this a bona fide application programmer trainee
in my very first IT job. To avoid ENQ entanglements, do not code gdg(0).
Instead, find out the actual fully qualified name of gdg(0) and code that
instead:

//CURRENT  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=a.b.c.G1234V00

It's not elegant, but the base GDG name will remain ENQ free.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             "Farley, Peter
             x23353"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             ADRIDGE.COM>              IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Sent by: IBM                                               cc
             Mainframe
             Discussion List                                       Subject
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Questions about GDG ENQ's
             .EDU>

             05/16/2008 01:08
             PM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

I often have the annoying problem of a production job which wants to
create (+1) of a GDG being held up by my long-running test job that is
using the (0) generation.  This is in a large sysplex that has both
production and test LPAR's in it.

Question #1:
I understand the integrity exposure that requires the (+1) job to get
exclusive access to the catalog entry for the base GDG name, but once my
test job has resolved my (0) generation request to an actual GooVoo
generation, why can't my (read-only, DISP=SHR) test job release the base
GDG ENQ so the (+1) job can get exclusive access?

Question #2:
If my read-only job using the (0) generation CLOSEs the (0) generation
after reading it to EOF and the JCL for the (0) generation specifies
FREE=CLOSE, will the ENQ's be released so the (+1) job can run while my
(0) job continues to run with the file and it's ENQ's freed?

TIA for helping cure my ignorance.

Peter