Having splits is rarely a performance hit, but taking one is.  If you
know the data, you can specify the FREESPACE so as to take the splits at
allocation when the application is not impacted.

VSAM Reorgs are often a stop-gap measure to avoid spending time and
energy to perform tuning.  Good allocation attribute choices and tuning
are key to avoid and reclaim 'dead' CAs and 'dead' CIs should they
become too numerous.  Meaning the file may need to be better tuned to
avoid run away growth.

Volume Defrags are also mostly a waste of valuable resources.  We
haven't run a defrag in over 10 years in a shop with over 150TB.  Only
the Systems, programming staff will on a vary rare occasion run defrag
against an IPL volume being prepared for roll out.

Space abends are nearly a thing of the past with carefully defined and
assigned dataclasses that take advantage of (Space Constraint Relief)
SCR, DVC (Dynamic Volume Count) or the standard volume count, and ECR
(extent constraint removal).  Also, strategic use of Extended Format,
Extended Addressability, and General and Tailored Compaction will be of
huge benefit in this arena.  Separating data into separate storage
groups based on data type and how the data should be managed will also
contribute greatly in the reduction of space related abends.  For
instance, you would not want  DB2 linear files in the same storage group
with Datacom databases because Datacom needs large extents, but DBAs
would have difficulty finding large enough chunks of space because the
DB2 linear files would have extents all over the pool.  Running interval
migration on a storage that has only has archive logs directed to it
will also help prevent space abends.  Of course, management has a key
roll to play if strategically defined and assigned.

But you have to be willing to drive these changes and overcome the
hurdles; very few are willing.  There is no shortage of folks out there
needing a little education, sometimes this means me.

It took 6 years for me, a lowly MVS Storage Technical, to convince and
push to finally get our development environment merged into a single
sysplex from what was a mult-sysplex environment with 3 sysplexes
sharing the same DASD.  Finally, we can take advantage of the sysplex
exploiters.  So, don't give up.  Now, my next challenge is to preach
ILFs under z/10.

Terry Traylor
charlesSCHWAB
TIS Mainframe Storage Management