Well, I can think of a lot of things you might consider for chargeback,
like CPU, DASD, Tape, Network (bandwidth used maybe).  It kind of
depends on what information you can collect any how hard it is to relate
to your customers.

Here we use a product that used to be called CIMS from CIMS Lab.  About
2 years ago IBM acquired the product, and it is now called IBM Tivoli
Usage and Accounting Manager (ITUAM) and is a part of the IBM Tivoli
Decision Support package.  In a previous life I was at a company that
used KOMAND from Pace Applied Technology, Inc.  One thing about it is
that it has hooks you can put into the system that will give you good
data for DASD space usage over time.  Without something like that you
really don't know space usage over time.  If you already have MXG for
performance/capacity planning purposes you can also use the database it
sets up for chargeback data.  You'll just have to create your own
programs for reporting and invoicing.  All of this depends on how deep
into chargeback you want to get and how much you're willing to spend.

Tom Kelman
Commerce Bank of Kansas City
(816) 760-7632

We
> don't have one today. The goal is to track the use of computing
> resources on the Mainframe. Besides CICS (transactions based), DASD
> (usage based, MSU usage etc .. what else should be accounted for?
> Comparing existing expenses with that modeled after an industry
standard
> tool should help breakdown costs for all departments. What are you
folks
> using -- any recommendations .. suggestions.. books on the subject ..
> would be helpful. Could such a tool also be used for 'predictive
> analysis' - e.g. how would adding 10 more CICS' affect my system
> resources.
>

> On the flip side, and not knowing if such a tool is really the answer,
> shouldn't data provided by CMF/RMF reports be enough to extrapolate.
>

> Regards,
>
> Jasbir

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.