I'm confused.  Are you saying that APAR OA12842 broke it? or that it fixed
it?  It looks to me like they fixed a problem.
It says
The solution for this APAR has been shipped in the base code of
z/OS 1.8 (HBB7730), JES2 1.8 (HJE7730) and JES3 1.8 (HJS7730).

If I understood the original poster, he has
//AFITJLMU JOB CLASS=S,MSGCLASS=X,TYPRUN=SCAN
//UNVTEST  PROC
//PS001   EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//REMOTE   DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE
//SYSIN    DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=QALC.UNVLIB
//MYSCRIPT DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=QALC.UNVLIB
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//        PEND ---------------------
//*
//JS001   EXEC PROC=UNVTEST
//MYSCRIPT DD  *
 WHATEVER
/*
 WHEREEVER
/*

and the WHEREEVER causes a system generated //SYSIN which overrides his
original
//SYSIN    DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=QALC.UNVLIB

I also like to leave junk at the bottom of my JCL members as notes.  But I
always have a // hard end of job card before the junk at the bottom so I
never see this problem.

Roger Bolan
infoprint.com

Boulder, Colorado, USA