FROM JES2 INSTALL EXITS DOC: (section 63.4, z/OS 1.7)

" Module HASPINJR invokes installation Exit 52 for initial JOB statement
images. Input service has obtained and initialized the job control table (JCT)
and the IOT before calling installation Exit 52. After performing the
processing
you coded in Exit 2, input services complete scanning the JOB statement and
allocate spool space for the job."

It's clearly states the JCT has been "initialized"....hmmm, initialized to what
is
the question.  I read that to mean that it was populated with appropriate
values based on field descriptions in the JCT.  Silly me.

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback.