So in your sample, the variable CHECKING contains the value of the actual
variable name? That is what I understand Eileen is trying to do.

Fred = "Some value"
CHECKING = "Fred"
'GLOBALV PUTT CHECKING'
Fred = "another value
'GLOBALV GETT CHECKING'
Say Fred

Should show "Some value" not "another value".