X is always a bad choice for a variable name in Rexx. Sooner or later you will
try to append it to a literal and complain it does not work.

do x = 1 to 25
say '  'x
end

The ' 'x says you want a hex value, not a blank and the value of x. When you
come back to the code you may wish you had used longer and meaningful
names. Then again some coders like to struggle and figure out what their code
was supposed to do. Rexx Style has been presented at the SHARE Conference
Meetings, maybe you should get a copy and avoid some other problems
headed your way.