Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 2:33 PM
Subject: Living without User Key CSA

I'm an application programmer who is trying to reengineer a piece of our
infrastructure that uses subpool 241 (CSA/ECSA). My management wants to be compatible with AllowUserKeyCSA(no) so I'm seeking advice on how this can be
done.

The current design has been working well for many years.  It uses a small
piece of storage in CSA to anchor a list of dataspaces. The server program creates the anchor table in CSA (key 9), saves attributes of each dataspace
(ALET, size, usage statistics, etc.) into the anchor table, sets itself
non-swappable, and just waits to be stopped.  The server process is
APF-authorized.

The client program is not authorized.  It accesses the anchor table in CSA
via a name/token pair.  It then uses the attributes found in the anchor
table to gain access to the dataspace.  The client program must be able to
access and update the anchor table storage.

What is the best way to perform this functionality without a common area?
In other words, what technique can be used to store the list of dataspace
attributes so it's available to the client program?  It's also important
that the client program not require APF-authorization.

Any and all ideas or references to design guides are greatly appreciated.