In a message dated 10/5/2008 11:55:34 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>I am looking for the simplest way to intercept/modify an i/o for a VSAM
data set without impacting the application.

I only know of one way to intercept/modify an I/O of any kind, and it is  not
simple.  You must insert a front-end for an IOS module that is involved  with
the normal processing of an I/O request before it is started with the SSCH
instruction.  There are several different modules from which you could  choose,
but in all cases this is an extremely non-trivial task, your code that
inserts the front-end must be authorized, and your code that runs when the I/O
is
intercepted must be bullet-proof with industrial-strength recovery.

If you are not faint-hearted and have a sandbox system that you can crash  at
least 20 times, email me offline for further enlightenment.

And intercepting the I/O is an order of magnitude easier than  modifying it
once intercepted.  The reason that modifying it is so hard is  because of the
vast complexity of DASD channel programs, all possible variations  of which
your code must support.

Bill  Fairchild
Rocket Software

  • Re: VSAM I/O (IBM Mainframe Discussion List)