Hi list,

I know very little about MQSeries except that I'm having a problem with
it and I don't know enough about it to even know where to look next.

We are running MQ 5.3.1 on z/OS 1.7.  According to a DISPLAY ARCHIVE
command, I have the ARCRETN period set to 5 days.  We discovered that
for some reason, MQ isn't deleting older archive datasets.  It has
archive datasets going back to September 19.  According to a DISPLAY
USAGE command, the RBA that I would need to go back to for recovery is
from today, within the current ARCHIVE dataset.  Until I manually
deleted a bunch of the oldest ARCHIVE datasets, we had over 230
generations of archives on the system.  These are not on SMS managed
packs so there shouldn't be any contention with SMS constructs keeping
them around.  Even if they were on SMS packs, according to the manual,
the archives should only be kept around as long as the shorter of the
two retentions.

How do I get MQ to start cleaning up after itself again?  Where do I
even look to figure out what is going wrong?

TIA

Rex