On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:37:12 +0200, Michael Knigge
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>All,
>

>I have a utility that outputs a string to SYSPRINT (but that can be
>changed). Now I need to pass this string via SYSIN (or PARM) together
>with some other parameters to a second utility.
>
>A little "pseudo-sample":
>
>//*
>//* IMAGINE FOO WILL OUTPUT AN IP-ADDRESS - BUT THE ADDRESS
>//* IS OF COURSE NOT KNOWN...
>//*
>//STEP01   EXEC PGM=FOO
>//SYSPRINT   DD SYSOUT=*
>//*
>//* NOW I NEED TO EXECUTE A COMMAND THAT CONTAINS
>//* THE IP-ADDRESS
>//STEP02   EXEC PGM=BA,PARM='PING the.ip.addr.here'
>
>..... OR ...
>
>//STEP02   EXEC PGM=BA
>//SYSIN      DD *
>PING the.ip.addr.here
>//SYSPRINT   DD SYSOUT=*
>

>Any ideas how to solve this problem?
>

>My first idea was to pass the SYSPRINT from STEP01 to a following STEP
>that issues an EDIT-Macro that changes the contents to my needs (BTW,
>how to do this?). The "new" SYSPRINT is then passed to the "PING" STEP.
>
>Of yourse this is just simplified just to show you what I need. My real
>case has nothing to do with IP-Adresses and PING and that stuff, but
>this sample is (I think so) easy to understand...
>

>Thank you in advance....
>

>Bye,
>Michael

A REXX or CLIST EXEC (or many other programming options) that parses your
SYSPRINT (passed from the first step in a dataset, not SYSOUT -- or put to a
dataset, the "gener" to SYSOUT if someone needs this info), which in turn
generates a temp (or permanent, transient/temporary - for restart purposes)
dataset containing your PING (or whatever) command which gets executed in a
subsequent step.

You may also be able to use ICETOOL/DFSORT to parse the SYSPRINT output and
generate your command.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.