1) F DFHSM,LIST TTOC SELECT(FULL)
2) examine listing for PREV/NEXT volumes
3) Find the first volume in the chain
4) F DFHSM,RECYCLE EXECUTE VOLUME(1st vol in chain)

HSM goes through a couple of checks for recycling of volume chains. See
topic 4.2.10 in

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DGT2S670/CCON
TENTS?DT=20080602175016

Watch the wrap!

HTH.

<snip>
Had a backup tape over 15 months old even though management class was
set for three months.  This is not that unusual since the last backup
dataset is not deleted under certain conditions.

LIST TTOC NODSI showed 31% valid.  RECYCLE BACKUP did not select the
tape.  RECYCLE VOLUME caused the tape to be mounted, a very small amount
of I/O (possibly just volume confirmation), followed by an immediate
dismount.

LIST TTOC DSI showed no datasets.  LIST VOLUME MCDS showed no MCDS entry
(not surprising).  LIST VOLUME BCDS showed no BCDS entry (confusing).

I then issued DELVOL and received confirmation that the volume was
deleted followed by a message that 15 valid references were also
deleted.

So -

     What more could I have done to determine what was on the tape?

     Would there have been any way to access those datasets?

     I assume the information about the tape was coming from the OCDS.
Is there any way I could have resynched the BCDS with whatever was in
the OCDS?
</snip>