From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David W. Cullum
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:12 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: How many shops use 3rd party compression for IMS DBs?

We are currently evaluating IBM's compression product but will only be
using
it on 12 large DBs, is it even worth the DASD savings? We have about 300
VSAM/OSAM
HIDAM databases and are running IMS 9. We also have mucho storage
available
but are concerned that some of our large DBs may go over the 8 gig limit
once they are uncompressed or will they just allocate the existing free
space in the DB? We are using DBT's compression routine at this time.

David