>>> On 11/19/2008 at 10:50 AM, "R.S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tom Marchant wrote:
> [...]
>> I see that z/VM was licensed to run on an IFL only to run Linux and now it
>> is licensed to run on an IFL with OpenSolaris guests as well.
> Not exactly. You can run VM under VM on IFL.
> In simple words you can run under VM anything you can run without VM.
> VM is transparent for licenses and "technical blockades".

But in the case, the particular restriction being talked about it on z/VM
itself.  If you wanted to install z/VM on an IFL for the sole purpose of
running a traditional CMS workload, that would not be permitted by the standard
licensing.

> Note that (latest VM) can emulate zIIP/zAAP for z/OS guest, but the
> emulation is done on CP.

If by "latest" you mean 5.3, that is correct.  If you mean 5.4, it is not.
z/VM 5.4, when running on a z10 and in a "z/VM mode" LPAR, can and will
dispatch z/OS workload to real zIIPs and zAAPs if they are available to the
LPAR.  (And Linux workload to real IFLs as well in the same LPAR.)

Mark Post