From: Timothy Sipples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM 2066-002 Adding Spare CP as IFL
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 9:07 AM

Rich Smrcina writes:
>If you get your POC started on the z800 make sure that everyone
>has the right expectations.  The z800 is no speed demon.  At ~192MIPS
>each, these IFLs are going to be downright slow.  The expectation
>should be function, not performance.

Sage advice -- I totally agree. But it's not just the MIPS rating. There
has been even more performance progress from z800 to z10 BC for many Linux
workloads than the top line numbers suggest. And keep in mind that
expanding a 2066-002 to a 2066-003 for z/OS is adding something closer to
149 MIPS, not 192. Which isn't an entirely fair assessment either, but you
get the point. All of which is why those MIPS numbers are so perilous, but
we all know that by now, right? :-)

Note that for functional tests there's no technical impediment to using any
desired fraction of CPs at any moment in time. CPs are general purpose
processors. They run anything that can run on a mainframe, including Linux.
You don't have to ring IBM for that, but....

....Patrick, please talk with your IBM rep. He or she will probably want
the opportunity to point out that it's not generally a good economic idea
to plunk down new IFL money on an N-3 generation machine with 60 MSUs, even
if IBM is willing to take your money. However, he or she will undoubtedly
be highly motivated to reach a mutually agreeable solution if at all
possible.

....And then, if reason and logic prevail among all parties, you can ship
me your z800. Just let me know when you're ready, and I'll send you my
shipping address. Many thanks in advance. :-)

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan / Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]