For you HSM adminstrators out there; check out this closed APAR
concerning dashes.

  APAR Identifier ...... OA24377      Last Changed ........ 08/03/27
  FIXCDS DOESN'T DISPLAY HYPHENS (DASHES)

  Symptom ...... IN INCORROUT         Status ........... CLOSED  FIN
  Severity ................... 3      Date Closed ......... 08/03/27
  Component .......... 5695DF170      Duplicate of ........
  Reported Release ......... 180      Fixed Release ............
  Component Name DFSMSHSM, ISMF       Special Notice
  Current Target Date ..08/06/03      Flags
  SCP ...................
  Platform ............

  Status Detail: APARCLOSURE - APAR is being closed.

  PE PTF List:

  PTF List:
  Release 180   : No PTF planned

  Parent APAR:
  Child APAR list:

  ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  When using the FIXCDS Command to display the 'C' record for a
  dataset backup whose dataset name contains a '-', the name in
  the display is shown with a blank instead of a '-'.

  LOCAL FIX:
  none.

  PROBLEM SUMMARY:
  * USERS AFFECTED: Users of the FIXCDS command in               *
  *                 DFSMShsm V1R8.0 and higher                   *
  * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: Data set names containing hyphens may   *
  *                      be displayed with blanks in place of    *
  *                      the hyphens in the output of a FIXCDS   *
  *                      command.                                *
  * RECOMMENDATION:                                              *
  The output of the FIXCDS command includes the hexadecimal and
  EBCDIC representation of the data contained in the record being
  display. Although the hexadecimal representation of the data
  will properly reflect x'60' in locations where a hyphen may be
  recorded within a data set name, the EBCDIC representation will
  show a blank instead.

  Sample output:
  FIXCDS D HSMATH0.L-ST.MV
  MCH=   01D40000 C21DF6C5 ... * M  B 6E    B 3   P             *
  +0000  D4C9C7F1 F0F10001 ... *MIG101                          *
  +0080  00000000 00000000 ... *                             FHS*
  +00A0  D44BC8D4 C9C74BE3 ... *M.HMIG.T460512.HSMATH0.L ST.J807*
                                                        ^
                                                        ^
                                                        ^

  PROBLEM CONCLUSION:

  TEMPORARY FIX:

  COMMENTS:
  This APAR is being closed FIN for the following reasons:

  - The FIXCDS command is a maintenance command typically only
    used to handle error conditions
  - The hexadecimal output in a FIXCDS command does correctly
    reflect the x'60' value when a hyphen exists in a data set
    name
  - The EBCDIC output in a FIXCDS command is expected to be used
    for review purposes
  - The use of hyphens in data set names is not common

Terry Traylor
charlesSCHWAB
TIS Mainframe Storage Management
Remedy Queue: tis-hs-mstg