Hi,

I’ve encountered something in Syncsort, and I’m looking for an explanation.

One of our users used Syncsort to copy a dataset.

The input file had 93386 tracks in 10 extents.

The output file had 64815 tracks in 2 extents.

Both files  are LRECL=27904 BLKSIZE=27998 RECFM=VB DSNTYPE=LARGE.

The copy job used Syncsort’s SDB=ON option

Both are allocated on the same type of DASD (3390-54).

When we say the 30% difference in size we used IEBCOMPR to  compare the two
file, and the result was that they were identical.

Another test was done. This time, Syncsort was used to copy records that had a
specific value in a specific field. On the large (Input) file, the job ran for
64 seconds. On the small (Output) file the same operation took 7 seconds.

Can anyone explain this?

TIA

Gadi