This was supposed to go to the IBM-MAIN, not assembler list.  Sorry about
that.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:assembler-l...@listserv.uga.edu]
On Behalf Of Bill Klein
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 11:33 AM
To: assembler-l...@listserv.uga.edu
Subject: Fw: Syncsort Oddity

If, for example, the original file were created by a COBOL program that was
compiled with the NOAWO option (or the older OS/VS COBOL "apply write only"
syntax), then it is QUITE possible that there are many "short" blocks in a
VB file.

When NOAWO is in effect for a COPY program, COBOL "writes" a block and
starts a new one when the next record to be written COULD be large enough
not to fit into the same block (if it were the maximum record size).

With AWO in effect, COBOL actually waits to see how large the next record is
an if it can  it places it in the current block.  Only if the ACTUAL next
record won't fit in the existing block does the current block get written
and a new block gets started.

FOR COBOL programs that have a few very large records (such as "header
records") but mostly small records, the difference between AWO and NOAWO is
SIGNIFICANT.

I assume, but may be mistaken, that other types of applications besides
COBOL NOAWO ones may have the same issue.

"Ted MacNEIL" <eamacn...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
2...@bxe348.bisx.prod.on.blackberry>...
> >I would look at the raw input file and see how it was blocked. Perhaps
the program that created the file wrote smaller blocks.