>It's not just the cost. The overall "usability" of the SAS workplace in a GUI
>is IMO streets ahead of the 3270 CUA equivalent.

Possibly, but with the CUA it only matters for online.
I admit that most of the work was batch, which beat windows/*NIX
implementations.
But, at one company, we got free education on the UI (notice no G).

It come down to 'it depends'.
We had enough users and shared data, that it was cost-effective on the
mainframe.
As, I said it was more than the performance/capacity geeks (I can use that word
because I have been a geek since 1981).

As always, YMMV.

We also had the SAS started task running, that allowed you to access the
mainframe SAS file from your PC.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!