>You're assuming that you can only run ONE copy of Linux on a CPU.

I'm making no such assumption.

>Since you can run more than one, the net is that it's a lot cheaper to use
>Oracle on Linux on z than on the same horsepower of, say, Intel boxes.

I'm well aware of this.

>More than one site has justified Linux on z on this basis alone.

A couple of years ago, I pointed out an example of this with the Quebec
Provincial Government.
They consolidated 140 servers down to three IFL's.
While not all of them were ORACLE, over 100 were (iirc), so the savings were
HUGE!
They even won some sort of innovation award at SHARE because if it.
The first Canadian organisation to do so.

While this is all very interesting, it doesn't answer my original query.
Somebody stated that SAS Institute would lose money if they ported to z/LINUX.
I asked why, and we went on a trip down ORACLE Lane.

I'm still asking why?
Because, regardless of the pricing model, they would/should be new SAS licences.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!