From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Mark Zelden
Sent: 10 March 2009 14:07
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Screen size (was 3270 emulator cost)

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:32:45 -0600, Mark Zelden <mark.zel...@zurichna.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:28:13 -0600, Tom Marchant
><m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:42:29 -0800, Edward Jaffe wrote:
>>>
>>>Hmmm. I'm "playing" with it now and it looks pretty good (other than
>>>I can't figure out how to get a 90x142 display like I'm accustomed
>>>to.)
>>
>>Wow!  Thanks, Ed.  I've been using 62x142 for a while.  Thought that
>>62 lines was all ISPF would support.  I just tried 90x142 and I think
>>I'm hooked already.
>
>Using Vista.
>
>I tried 90... way too small.  I'm sure it would be even worse when I
>have to work from my laptop (at work I plug into a docking station with
>a 17" monitor).   I went down to 80 and it was readable but too "scrunched".
>I decreased by 2 and kept trying and the font didn't change until I hit 68.
>The font is slightly smaller than my 62, but still looks "proportional"
>as opposed to "scrunched".  I could live with that, but I think working
>from my laptop monitor it would be hard to read.  The 62 already is.
>
>Mark

Well...  I've been using 68x142 instead of 62x142 since I posted this
in February and I'm used to the smaller font size.   The only problem
I've run into is MXI when I exit some panels:

* ISPV006
*
* Data truncation occurred
* Data for CHAR format variable "MXIBUF" was too long.
*

MXI G2 probably does not have this problem.  I may switch back to 62 x 142 (6
lines less real estate isn't that much).

>From the ISPF User Guide Vol II, this is the official support statement:

2.1.2 Terminal characteristics

  1.  ISPF supports screen sizes from 24 x 80 characters to 62 x 160 characters.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Sr. Software and Systems Architect - z/OS Team Lead Zurich North America /

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html