Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: "A foolish consistancy" or "3390 cyl/track architecture"

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:50:16 -0500, Eric Bielefeld <eric-
ibmm...@wi.rr.com> wrote:

...   It just seems
like IBM could get away from the track and cylinder stuff, which
artificially restricts the amount of storage you use.  If you use short
blocksizes, or long ones that just go over 1/2 track, you waste an
awfull lot of space. ...
... it still makes things a lot more complicated than it should be.

I think that logic may not apply.  It all depends on how the emulation
works.  The "wasted" track space may not take any space on the
real hardware.  We may be protected from our old stupidity (but I'm
sure there is lots of new stupidity to make up for that).

It's still complicated.  Now you have to know which old guideleines
still hold, which can be discarded, and what new guidelines are
needed.

Pat O'Keefe