A couple of steps I take

1)  HLIST DSN(dsname here) BOTH
This shows me if it has both and MCDS and BCDS entry.

2)  My ACS code will produce WRITE statements when things don't work.

3)  Under TSO issue TSO PROF and see if you have INTERCOM WTPMSG and MSGID (if
any of them are NO - NOINTERCOM, NOWTPMSG, NOMSGID) then turn them on:  TSO
PROF MSGID WTPMSG INTERCOM

4)  See if there are any message in the DFHSM log for this file.  Perhaps DFDSS
(ADR messages) are there to explain more why it could not recall the dataset.

5)  See if SYSLOG shows any security errors when DFHSM tried to recover the
file.

Most likely cause could be that the ACS code cannot put the file on the volume
for some reason.

The ARC1170I messages for RC02 states

 02        An error occurred while attempting to allocate space on the
           target volume for the recall or recovery of a non-VSAM data set.
           Either DFSMShsm encountered an error attempting to invoke the
           VTOC/Data Set Services' (VDSS) create space function or VDSS had
           a failure creating the space. If the storage class assigned by
           your ACS routines is using guaranteed space, ensure that the
           assigned storage class has the original volume serials that the
           data set was created with, otherwise allocation fails. Check the
           command activity log for messages indicating the actual failure
           reason. Look for ARC0935I for a failure reason and SMS message
           IGD306I. If you received SMS IGD306I-UNEXPECTED ERROR DURING
           INTEXPDT PROCESSING, RETURN CODE 8, REASON CODE 1017, the
           problem may be the data set expiration date in the DFSMShsm MCC
           record for a recover function.

Lizette