On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:41:48 -0700, Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com>
wrote:

>We were early adopters of SMF logger in order to prepare for a winter SHARE
>session after a 1.9 ESP. At that time we used it only in the sandbox
>sysplex where SMF data was throwaway. It's now  running also in the
>development sysplex where SMF data is actually cherished and nurtured. With
>only a hiccup or two, the process has been reliable if a bit kludgy. The
>main problems I recall have involved a shortage of DASD space for the
>offload data sets. Normally there's plenty here, but some (dimly
>recollected) condition caused an offload failure. I don't know whether the
>weakness is in SMF's use of logger or in logger itself, but once a 'full'
>condition occurs and the structure gets disconnected, I've had a very hard
>time jump starting the process without losing data.
>
>There are rumblings about improvements on the way that should upgrade the
>prime time status from 'not ready' to 'get set'. Maybe even 'go'.
>
>.

More than rumblings now.  This showed up in my ASAP this morning.  I'm
glad IBM was kind enough to roll this support back to z/OS 1.9 in addition
to z/OS 1.10.    Better late than never....  :-)

  APAR Identifier ...... OA27037      Last Changed ........ 09/05/20
  NEW FUNCTION

  Symptom ...... NF NF                Status ........... CLOSED  UR1
  Severity ................... 4      Date Closed ......... 09/05/20
  Component .......... 5752SC100      Duplicate of ........
  Reported Release ......... 740      Fixed Release ............ 999
  Component Name 5752 SMF SCHEDU      Special Notice       ATTENTION
  Current Target Date ..09/06/05      Flags
  SCP ...................                            NEW FUNCTION
  Platform ............

  Status Detail: APARCLOSURE - APAR is being closed.

  PE PTF List:

  PTF List:
  Release 740   : PTF not available yet
  Release 750   : PTF not available yet

  Parent APAR:
  Child APAR list:

  ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  New function APAR

  When using the IFASMFDL program to dump SMF log stream
  data, you can specify the RELEATIVEDATE parameter to
  filter the data recorded during a specific date range.

  The LSNAME parameter of the IFASMFDL program supports
  new OPTIONS keywords to delete data from the log stream:

  -- ARCHIVE, which deletes data after dumping the
     log stream to a data set.

  -- DELETE, which simply deletes the data from
     the log stream.

  You can specify the MAXDORM parameter in parmlib member
  SMFPRMxx for both data set recording and log stream recording.

  LOCAL FIX:
  N/A

  PROBLEM SUMMARY:
  * USERS AFFECTED: HBB7740 and above installations that use     *
  *                 SMF recording to logstream                   *
  * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: New function APAR                       *
  * RECOMMENDATION:                                              *
  New function APAR to support additional
  options for the IFASMFDL utility.

  PROBLEM CONCLUSION:

  TEMPORARY FIX:

  COMMENTS:
  New function support for the RELATIVEDATE, ARCHIVE
  and DELETE options for IFASMFDL.

  For information on new messages IFA832I, IFA833I,
  IFA834I, IFA835I, IFA836I and IFA837I see the
  publication updates for  z/OS MVS System Messages,
  Vol 8 (IEF-IGD) (SA22-7638).

  For information about new ABEND code x'654' see the
  publication updates for z/OS MVS System Codes (SA22-7626).

  For information about new RELATIVEDATE, ARCHIVE and DELETE
  options for the IFASMFDL utility see the publication updates
  for z/OS MVS System Management Facilities (SMF) (SA22-7630).

  For the updated behavior of the MAXDORM option in
  SMFPRMxx see the publication updates for
  z/OS MVS Initialization and Tuning Reference (SA22-7592).