I would respectfully disagree. I posed this question to the group a while back
and the consensus was to let it crash. I believe the thought was that there was
just not enough time or information to make an informed decision. Plus, anytime
someone is frantically banging on a keyboard, screw ups are a sure bet.

I had to make this call a while back and followed the advice. All in all,
things went very smoothly and we were back in full operation with very few
issues.  DB2 and JES knew what to do and did it. Batch jobs that were running
were simply treated just like any other failure. Our most loved proprietary
online hit the ground running.

I did drain initiators to prevent any new batch jobs kicking off.

I learned a few things, though. One, if you have an OS/2 HMC, shut it down
ASAP. When power comes back, it does a check disk that takes forever. I had to
IPL using the support elements.

The Shark has backup batteries so that it will come in for a graceful landing.
That worked. But the unexpected twist was that the Shark would not go ready
until the batteries were recharged. We now have a DS8100 but I would expect it
would be no different.

So, my suggestion for a loss of power scenario is to immediately evacuate
personnel to a safe place. Nothing is worth getting someone hurt. BTDT.