Clark Morris asks:
>Did they improve the code generation capabilities in either
>Visual Age Generator or Rational EGL so that the resulting
>code could be compiled with the optimize options on?

I think I can answer for Rational EGL (Enterprise Generation Language), the
successor to VisualAge Generator (and CSP). I'm going to assume you're
talking about Rational EGL deployment to z/OS using the Rational COBOL
Runtime for z (5655-R29) libraries. Looks like good news on both counts.

If you mean whether you can use the OPTIMIZE compiler option, the answer is
yes. But you said "options," so I'm not sure if that's answering your
question completely. NOSSRANGE and NOTEST are typical options that people
also use for production. The "EGL Generation Guide" (see below) says that
the only compiler option not supported is NAME.

>Did they add an option to remove the forcing of an F zone
>on packed fields when positive?

Yes. I checked the "EGL Generation Guide" and it says this on page 341 (PDF
page 349):

"Two additional values are available to override the default EGL behavior.
Setting positiveSignIndicator to F-ALL keeps EGL from changing all the
NUMC, PACK, DECIMAL, and MONEY variables to C. Likewise, C-ALL keeps EGL
from changing NUM and PACF variables to F."

That particular manual is located here:

http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/docs/DOC-1013

Hope all that helps.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan / Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com