On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:52:16 -0300 Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca>
wrote:

:>On 13 Jun 2009 09:52:54 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

:>>Clark Morris pisze:
:>>[...]
:>>> Virtually all LE dumps are User 4039 and in the descriptive
:>>> information in the dump up where they give the registers, they show
:>>> the original abend code.   It's a long time since I had to use the LE
:>>> dump but I remember that and that I got the COBOL file areas nicely.

:>>Just curious: WHY???
:>>Why the real description is so ugly hidden? Just to make things even
:>>more complicated?
:>>Usually programs tend to use descriptive messages in more and more
:>>situations.

:>While I can't speak for the LE designers, I guess that since LE traps
:>the original abed, there was no good way to turn around and make that
:>the abend code when LE issued the termination.  I also suspect that
:>the abend code had to be a user code rather than a system code so the
:>least confusing method was thought to be use a catchall code and show
:>the causing code (system or user) in the dump.

Certainly can be done. LE could do all the logic in its ESTAE retry routine
and then percolate.

http://www.dissensoftware.com