Pat

> While true, there isn't much need for it, either.

You're using the wrong tense; try "was" for "is". In the days when AnyNet
Sockets over SNA was created, the mid-90s, there was an golden opportunity
not to scrap SNA network infrastructure in favour of IP network infrastructure
but simply to benefit from IP-based applications and interface to existing IP
network infrastructure while preserving all the benefits of maintaining the
existing SNA network infrastructure. Sadly the suits were taken in by the
bigots and we got lumbered with IP infrastructure with all its myriad
disadvantages - sad for all except for the vendors of that infrastructure of
course who no doubt congratulated themselves wildly on their
successful "hustle".

> It's rare to find 2 devices with SNA connectivity that don't have IP
connectivity.

I used to work in an education centre - as you anyhow know. A new internal
application was brought in from the US. It had "training" in the title to which
vociferously objected since I - together with my colleagues - was
offering "education"[1] The application was built on an UNIX base and so
employed sockets communication. The introduction struggled miserably in its
European test sites, my and other education centres being the client sites
with a server site near the Black Forest.

The reason was that the production networks at the time were (still) built on
SNA infrastructure while IP infrastructure had very limited bandwidth.
Fortunately a guy in the in the introducing team remembered I had mentioned
running sockets programs over SNA in a meeting a short while before. So I
was obliged to come to the rescue of this demeaning system with AnyNet
Sockets over SNA access nodes and gateways, sacrificing my and
a "Freundins" 2217s[2] to the cause.

Eventually the IP infrastructure was upgraded and the "purity" of the
application was restored.

> AnyNet SNA over IP ... made an appl-to-appl connection. EE makes an APPN
node-to-node connection.

Pat, there's a hole in your education! AnyNet SNA over IP constituted a Low
Entry Networking (LEN) link just like any other LEN link, SDLC, frame relay,
X.25, 802.2 LAN etc. The only difference is that you couldn't set the bits in
the XID which offered APPN services - and CP LU to CP LU sessions - in the
case of AnyNet SNA over IP. There's a hole in my education which I'm not
going to bother to repair - unless some post prompts it (unlikely) - in not
knowing about TCP62 or any other of the "etc." which are/were not strict
MPTN AnyNet SNA over TCP/UDP/IP.

AnyNet over IP implementing a LEN link is then strictly replaced by Enterprise
Extender (EE) implementing an APPN/HPR link. AnyNet over IP cannot be
enhanced to be an APPN/HPR link and EE cannot be downgraded to be a LEN
link. That's the difference.

> ... there is more to setting up the connection if the nodes are not already
APPN nodes.

Indeed, this is where I usually say something like "and, by the way, you need
to ensure that your VTAM is enabled for APPN if not already done which is
typically not a trivial task." Setting up LEN links with a traditional subarea
VTAM also needed a few novel concepts to be taken on board, the "same-
domain" CDRSC being one.

> And, of course, the EE connection can automatically handle any other SNA
sessions you care to add once you have it in place.

may apply to "implementations" such as TCP62 but not in comparison with fully
developed AnyNet SNA over IP.

> Wasn't TCP62 just the name of the non-VTAM AnyNet SNA over IP LU6.2
component?

Dunno - although GC34-6889-00 does imply that. The manual seems just to
discuss LU type 6.2 so I guess that LU type 6.2 was all that TCP62 could
handle - which is fine if that was the mission the product was given.

> The manual may have been terrible, ...

It may be that the manuals which describe TCP62 by itself do their job very
well. It is only this ridiculous "migration" manual created in order to deal
with
the demise of AnyNet SNA over IP in VTAM to which I object. It pretends that
Enterprise Extender is the solution when, as soon as you bother to digest
what the manual actually covers, you see that the function supplied by TCP62
is replaced by a concatenation of "Remote API Client" over IP and an SNA link
to VTAM - of any type whatsoever. The "middle" box is shown as
running "Communications Server for Linux on zSeries" but it could be any non-
VTAM Communications Server.[3]

> Was anything other than than LU6.2 support implemented using AnyNet SNA
over IP?

SSCP-dependent LUs of any type were also supported - eventually. And this
was a significant exception to the rule that the DLUR-DLUS "pipe" sessions had
to pass over a concatenation of links all capable of supporting APPN flows with
CP LU to CP LU connectivity existing between the DLUR and DLUS nodes.
Reflect on the text of sense code 0877 0056

<quote>

Sense code 0877

Resource mismatch: The receiver of a request has detected a mismatch
between two of the following: (1) its definition of an affected resource, (2)
the actual configuration, and (3) the definition of the resource as implied in
the request.

Bytes 2 and 3 following the sense code contain sense-code-specific
information.

0056 A CPSVRMGR session cannot be established over a LEN connection that
is not of type TCP.

</quote>

> I know PComm supported AnyNet as a "protocol", but I thought it used
APPC3270.

I'm pretty sure PCOMM used fully fledged AnyNet SNA over IP. I seem to recall
that PCOMM/2 absorbed parts of CM/2 which related to an "end-user" rather
than an SNA "router" and that will have included the AnyNet SNA over
IP "access" - as opposed to "gateway" - component. These recollections all
date from the time of the CM/2 to CS/2 redesign of the mid-90s.

Here's what I found in "Personal Communications for Windows, Version 5.7
Administrator’s Guide and Reference"[4]

<quote>

The AnyNet function in Personal Communications enables SNA applications to
communicate over an IP network. This includes the Personal Communications
emulators, both 3270 and 5250, as well as APPC and CPI-C applications.

</quote>

However - to my surprise - it appears that APPC3270 is also supported:

<quote>

APPC3270 Emulation over a TCP/IP Network

AnyNet also enables APPC3270 emulation over a TCP/IP network. See Figure
10 on page 116. Configuration instructions for this example are given in Quick
Beginnings.

</quote>

The "also" is important. In "Personal Communications for Windows, Version 5.7
Quick Beginnings" I found no configuration advice regarding APPC3270 but I did
find the following as the only reference to APPC3270:

<quote>

The API client interface lets you make the following attachments:

- 3270 emulation
  LUA - LU 0, 1, 2 or 3 via the WinRUI interface. This lets you have normal
display or printer sessions.

- APPC3270
  This provides 3270 display sessions (not printer) over an LU 6.2 connection
to the host.

- 5250 emulation
  This provides 5250 display and printer sessions through APPC.

</quote>

AnyNet SNA over IP "sits" under the first bullet as a (LEN) link.

I'm happy that PCOMM is supporting regular full function AnyNet SNA over IP
including, obviously, SSCP-dependent LU support.

If you want to know more there are references to other manuals available on
that IBM page [4].

Incidentally, it's a shame that all these functions in PCOMM needing a VTAM
counterpart have had that VTAM counterpart withdrawn!

Lastly, I should, of course, have included PCOMM in the list of products
supporting Enterprise Extender - as I discovered electronically leafing through
these PCOMM manuals.

Chris Mason

[1] Even if I did try to remember the precepts of an army instructor
regarding "training": First I tells 'em what I'm going to tell 'em, then I
tells 'em
it, then I tells 'em what I've told 'em! Probably the task was disassembling
and
reassembling a Lee-Enfield rifle.

[2] The 2217 was the "AnyNet" box.

[3] This reminds me of a time I was a trainee and a third line manager asked
me to draw a flip-chart page for him. I mentioned that, given the nature of
the data, it should not be a line graph but a bar chart. After a glance which
reminded me of the hierarchy which happened to apply here, I drew a line
graph! So I guess I have to sympathise with the authors of GC34-6889-00.

[4] http://www-01.ibm.com/software/network/pcomm/library/