On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:23:38 +0530, Sachin T
<sachin.sach...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am downloading it through FTP...

One of the biggest factors effecting large file transfers is the TCP
window size, especially if you have a high speed connection with
significant latency (i.e., a long distance).  You will spend most of
the time waiting for acknowledgements.

The problem:  the number of unacknowledged bytes is help in a
16 bit field in the TCP header.  After sending that many bytes you
have to wait for an Ack.

The solution: during the initial TCP handshake, agree to multiply
the value in outstanding window field by a scaling factor.

Whenever we have had significantly slow TFP transfers over an
otherwise fast connection, this has been the problem.   We ran
into this a LOT when we moved a datacenter and transfers that
had been across the computer room floor now had to go 2000
miles.  Those transfers that used large scaled windows had no
problem; those that were restricted to 64K

The Z/OS FTP server has supported window scaling for eons.
Most FTP clients supports support it too, but it may not be
automatically enabled, and guessing the name of the "knob" to
turn it on is anybody's guess.

Key phrases to look for when researching this issue:
TCP window scale
receive window size
Long-Fat Networks, or LFN
RFC 1323