On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:08:59 -0500, Paul Gilmartin
<paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:05:45 +0200, CUNY Yann wrote:
>
>>You can use SMTP directly with REXX. (Socket REXX).
>>
>Here we go again.
>
>There are two email facilities generally available on z/OS:
>one with a JES interface, customarily called SMTP; the other
>with a socket interface, customarily called sendmail.

Actually, I've never heard the thing that interfaces with JES called
"SMTP" (unless that is the name of the proc used).  SMTP server or
SMTP daemon, yes; SMTP, no.   Perhaps "SMTP" is used that way in
some shops, but I wouldn't call it wide spread.

>RFC 821 et. al. describe Simple Mail Transfer Protocol,
>abbreviated SMTP.  Its description more closely matches
>the facilities of z/OS sendmail than of z/OS SMTP.

Both the z/OS sendmail and SMTP daemon use SMTP.  Sendmail
has a lot more functionality, but both make use of the protoocol.

>No need for controversy; merely clarification.

I know.   I'm probably introducing controversy, but I'd hate to
see "SMTP" used for somthing beyond the protocol itself just
because they read it here.

Pat O'Keefe