>We are having four partitions defined on one of our boxes (2086), with one
>z/OS image always running, one CF LPAR with CFCC always running, but the
>remaining two idle most of the time (that is, the remaining two partitions are
>active and have their share of resources allocated, but no OS is running
>there). All CPs are shared. None dedicated.
>
>We wonder what percentage of CPU, otherwise spent on PR/SM management, could
>be spared and reclaimed if:
>(1) We run a single z/OS image in Basic mode on this 2086 (no LPARs defined)?
>(2) We inactivate the two partitions that are usualy idle and redistribute
>their resources.

While I cannot give you percentage numbers, I know from past experience that it
can be felt if an lpar is activated but not IPL'd. It has made a difference in
the times it takes CF requests on shared paths to a CF LPAR. It also makes a
slight difference when the lpar dispatcher doesn't need to check the shared CPs
that are only activated.

Case (2) will probably be as good as case(1). Simply deactivating them will get
lpar to redistribute those resources.

Barbara Nitz