>>> On 6/20/2012 at 11:19 AM, Ron MacRae <ronmac...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> I was hoping the VSWITCH would allow us to use the same OSA card as VM.
> That was what I was trying to achieve.
>
> I had thought it might be like VMWARE's VM where I can have several virtual
> machines all using different IP addresses via the same network card as the
> host windows box. Obviously it isn't but I don't have another picture in my
> head.
>
> There is no way to get this all running of the one OSA? We need one card for
> the TCPIP VM and another one for the VSWITCH?

You _can_ do what you want.  You just need to understand that one OSA card can
have many subchannel addresses.  You can share the card, but not the subchannel
addresses.  So, from MAINT, or any other userid with CP class B, do a "#cp q
osa free" command.  Pick any three consecutive addresses, and specify the first
one as the RDEV for the VSWITCH.

Mark Post