From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Staller, Allan
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 12:30 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMS Retain Days Extra Backup Versions - question.

Kees, et. al

I have processed my test case.

Management class attributes:
Expire Non-usage 15 days
No. of Backups DS Exists - 2
No. of Backups DS Deleted - 1
Retain Days Extra backups - 3
Retain Days Only backup - 3

Version 1 backed up 2012/06/27
Version 2 backed up 2012/06/28

According to Kees, the version 1 backup should have been deleted 2012/07/01.
However, an HSM List command shows both versions still exist.
Versions in excess of "No. of backups DS exists" are deleted immediately
duiring the next secondary space management cycle.

I appears, this behavior  can be attributed to CA-Disk.

Just to close the loop, I will post again 15 days after the version 1 backup
was  created (2012/07/12) or earlier if something changes.

HTH,

<snip>
We don't have HSM, we have CA-DISK and it does as I described.
>From the DFSMS manual I read (90% sure) that this is as designed: on day 100,
>backup#1 receives an expiration date of day 60 and is deleted immediately.
It would help if someone could confirm that HSM works the same.
If so, a PMR against something working as designed won't stand a chance.
If not, I can PMR CA-DISK.
</snip>