I did a $PSPL(SPOOL1) followed by message $HASP424 SPOOL1 IS NOT MOUNTED.
The I initialized a volume SPOOL1 and purged it with message $HASP414 OBTAIN
FAILED FOR SYS1.SYSE.HASPACE ON SPOOL1 WITH CC 8.
Now I allocated haspace data set on volume and purged it with message
$HASP421 PREVIOUSLY MOUNTED VOLUME SPOOL1 IS UNFORMATTED
$HASP443 SPOOL1 NOT ALLOCATED 167
          I/O ERROR DURING READ VALIDATION, RC=03
I then tried to start the spool on SPOOL1 with the same I/O error message.

Reiner