R.S. wrote:
>Protected key means CPACF in use, secure key means CryptoExpress card.
>The difference can be 1000 times or 10 times. Of course CPACF is always
>faster.

>The more cpu-intensive algorithm and the smaller block of data to be
>encrypted, the bigger difference is.

I think the second sentence is confusing here-not saying it's wrong, just that
I can read it a couple of ways, due to English's inherent lack of clarity (not
your fault, Radoslaw!).

For very large blocks of data, on very CPU-constrained systems that have
relatively low CEX use, CEX should be faster relative to CPACF than on less
CPU-constrained systems. That is, you look at the CEX interaction as an I/O and
CPACF as something that uses some of the "real" CPU as well as being somewhat
offloaded, then if "real" CPU is at a premium, and the blocks are large, the
cost of the I/O becomes smaller (relatively) than in a less-constrained case,
or one with smaller blocks.

Consider the cost of a CEX operation as ((ICSF call CPU)+I/O) and the cost of a
CPACF operation as ((ICSF call)+(some CPU cycles for the operation)). So the
difference is I/O vs. CPACF cycles. The I/O cost doesn't change (much) with
larger blocks; the CPACF cycles do.

Thus with large blocks, CEX will still be slower than CPACF, just (somewhat)
less noticeably so. I had a customer claim CEX could actually be faster in some
cases, but they didn't have data to back it up, so I don't believe him (I don't
disbelieve him either-more of a Schrödinger's cat deal).
--
...phsiii

Phil Smith III
p...@voltage.com<mailto:p...@voltage.com>