Ceretain of Bernd Oppolzer's concerns are addressed in the designs of
both ANSI BFP and ANSI DFP and in their zArchitecture implementations.
 Ad hoc schemes are in fact replaced by hardware implemented ones.

One of their most interesting features is the support they provide for
non-standard values:

o min,

o max

o SNaN, Signaling Not a Number,

o QNaN, Quiet Not a Number,

each of which has a  distinct bit configuration different from that of
any supported numeric floating-point value.

I have used SNaN to address Bernd's uninitialized-variable problem in
both assembly language and PL/I.  (Current HLASM and PL/I
implementations support the use of these special values in effect by
name; and PL/I provides execution-time BIFs for manipulating them.)

There are [different] accessible chapters in the current PrOp that
describe both BFP and DFP.  Read them!

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA