Word 2007 changed to a zipped, XML based file format (.docx).

There is an addin to older varions of Word to read 2007 files:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/open-a-word-2007-document-in-an-earlier-version-of-word-HA010044473.aspx

Alternatively, the sender might be able to use "save as" in Word and save it to a Word 2002 file format.

Regards

Andrew Rowley

--
Andrew Rowley