Victor,
Yes, you can retrieve a tape dataset's volser(s) using IGGCSI. I am not
positive that I know what you mean by the type of the tape dataset. If it
is the entry type, that would be NON-VSAM.

A good place to start is the provided samples. I started with IGGCSIRX,
the REXX one. It lists the entry type and the first 3 volsers for each DSN
found that matches the DNS pattern provided.

Thank you and have a Terrific day!

Jonathan Goossen, DTM
ACT Mainframe Storage Group
Personal: 651-361-4541
Department Support Line: 651-361-5555
For help with communication and leadership skills checkout Woodwinds
Toastmasters.

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> wrote on
07/16/2012 11:20:46 AM:

> From: Victor Zhang <victor_wor...@yahoo.com.cn>
> To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
> Date: 07/16/2012 11:21 AM
> Subject: IGGCSI to retrieve tape volume serial
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
>
> Hello,
> Is it possible to retrieve a tape dataset's volser via iggcsi?
> what's the type of a tape data set?
>
> Regards
> Victor

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential information intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s). If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, forwarding or
other use of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.