In
<CAApqkjt47TQe2TfmFTC5dwgfaHJAwF4s=DUec9fRXgnm3M=2...@mail.gmail.com>,
on 07/31/2012
   at 11:32 AM, George Rodriguez
<george.rodrig...@palmbeachschools.org> said:

>I'm trying to execute XMITIP

Is it in your SYSPROC or SYSEXEC?

>"EX 'SYS2.LOCAL.CLIST(XMITIP)' how and what do I say here... I'm very
>bad with syntax and when to use a single or double quote...

The REXX rules that you need to know are:

 1. A statement containing only an expression call the
    default environment[1] with the value of the expression.

 2. You may use either apostrophe (') or quote (") to delimit
    constants. If the constant contains an instance of that
    delimiter, you must double it, e.g., 'don''t'. I prefer to use
    the alternate delimiter in such cases to avoid the doubling,
    e.g., "don't", 'this (") is a quote'.

 3. If you separate two expressions with spaces, that is equivalent
    to concatenating them with a single separating space.

 4. If you abut a constant with an expression, that is equivalent
    to concatenating them.

 5. If you aren't trapping NOVALUE, REXX evaluates an uninitialized
    simple[2] variable as its name in upper case.

You also need to understand TSO parsing. The second parameter to EXEC
must be quoted with apostrophes, forcing you to double any apostrophes
within that parameter. If XMITIP is in SYSEXEC or SYSPROC then I
advise you to call it directly, not with EXEC. Assuming that TM#T is
the HLQ, the variable user contains the userid and that
SYS2.LOCAL.CLIST is in SYSEXEC, I'd write something[3] like

'%XMITIP' "'TM#T.M.XMITIP.PARMCARD."user"'"

Note that I used " so I wouldn't have to double the '.

[1] In your case, TSO.

[2] The rules are more complicated for compound variables.

[3] I'm assuming that XMITIP takes a dsn as its first parameter

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>