OS simulation is dreadfully deficient.

On 2012-08-02 15:00, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> Then, a POINT to return to the beginning of the file,
> using the TTR retrieved from just after the OPEN
> (with +1 added because the NOTE occurs after OPEN
> but before any READ.)

I believe that NOTE is specified to work only after a
READ has been issued (but I haven't RTFM lately), and
all outstanding READs have been CHECKed.

> And, as you might expect - this approach works just
> great on z/OS.

Eons ago it used not to work for me.

> Does anyone know of any vagaries with the OS simulation
> of NOTE/POINT?

OS simulation was implemented only to the extent necessary
to support (some of) the supported utilities.  For example,
PDS member statistics (the user info area) were deemed
unnecessary and not implemented.  ISPF/VM goes to outrageous
gyrations with side-files to simulate them.

Long ago, a co-worker said VM would do well to abandon CMS
and support MVT proper in a VM.  But he's an acknowledged
OS partisan.

-- gil