>>I have successfully used POINT, READ, and CHECK Macros on CMS to read MVS
>>datasets, but never had a need for NOTE.

>How did you successfully use POINT without having first done a NOTE so that
>the POINT knows where to POINT?

>Bill Fairchild
>Programmer
>Rocket Software
>408 Chamberlain Park Lane • Franklin, TN 37069-2526 • USA
>t: +1.617.614.4503 •  e: bfairch...@rocketsoftware.com • w:
>www.rocketsoftware.com

The TTR for POINT to use was calculated based on user input.  We used to share
a CA-TMS TMC between VM and MVS.  VM:Tape had read/write access and users had
read only access to the TMC file.  We had a VM/CMS program that could read the
TMC volume/dataset records and display the information using XMENU.  The TMC
contained control records at the beginning of the file with block offsets for
the volser ranges that were defined.  The LRECL and BLKSIZE of the TMC were
used to calculate the number of blocks per track based on the device type, (was
3380, then later 3390).  The user entered the volser of the tape they wanted to
display and the TTR of the block/record was calculated, (based on the above
info), and supplied to POINT, then a READ was issued to get the correct
block/record.

TMS was replaced with RMM, which of course does not have support for VM/CMS and
to make it worse, RMM uses a VSAM file, which cannot even be read currently on
VM/CMS.  I created a QSAM extract file from RMM and a QSAM "Index" file, (that
contained the tape volser and record number in the extract file), so the
"Index" could be read from VM/CMS to calculate the TTR to use with the extract
file.  The extract and "Index" file are updated every 30 minutes so the data is
not "live" like it was with the TMC.  It's a kludge, but what else can you do
when IBM doesn't support their operating systems equally and they don't
understand the concept of sharing data between different systems.

--
Dale R. Smith