On Aug 8, 2012, at 18:51, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>> Does this mean that if the current record spans several blocks,
>> setting the z byte causes enough intervening blocks containing
>> enough segments to be skipped that the block read contains the first
>> segment of the next record?
>
> No; TTR1 will access the next physical record. BSAM doesn't deal with
> the RDW.

In:

    http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/DGT2D4A0/3.8.7.8

(which I trimmed too much and, now that I read the outline
hierarchy, refers to PDSEs), I read:

    3.8.7         Processing a Member of a PDSE
    3.8.7.8 Using the POINT Macro to Position to a Block

   The POINT macro positions to the first segment of a spanned
   record even if the NOTE was done on another segment. If the
   current record spans blocks, setting the z byte of the TTRz
   field to one lets you access the next record (not the next
   segment).

So I conclude that if the current "block" (itself a slippery
concept with PDSEs) contains only an interior segment of a
spanned record, POINT to a TTRz will cause the following READ
to read the block containing the first segment of that [logical]
record, and POINT to a TTR1 will cause the following READ
to read the block containing the first segment of the next
[logical] record.  It's still pretty amazing.

THis could be a point of incompatibility between PDSE and PDS.

Who keeps spanned records in a PDSE or PDS, anyway?

-- gil