This is exactly the way we've done DR for a decade. Similar strategy for
moving a sysplex or updating components. You can define multiple CFs in
your policy. Only those actually connected will be used. Inaccessible CFs
will elicit some complaints about 'not able to use' but will cause no
problems. Two points to be aware of:

-- Every named CF (top of policy) must be used in at least one PREFLIST.
Otherwise you get an error at 'compile' time.

-- A CF name can be defined only once in a policy. For example, if you're
swapping out one CEC for another, you cannot put both old and new in the
same policy with the same name. Again, 'compile' time error. In order to
accomplish such a (perfectly legitimate) swap, you'll need at least one
interim policy that includes either the old or the new CEC. We upgraded
two CECs earlier this year one at a time. In each case we switched CFRM
policies from the surviving CEC while the old CEC was being replaced. The
process was dynamic for LPARs on the surviving CEC.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
SCE Infrastructure Technology Services