If you construct an array by initializing it element by element you
get an array, one that is not nul-delimited or 'of conceptually
unlimited length', whatever that may mean.

If you construct a string by initializing a character array with a
string, you get a nul-delimited string implemented under the
hood|bonnet as an array.

String manipulation is flawed in C, problematic because the view of a
string as an array of single characters is yet another example of too
much hacking about with Ockham's razor.

--jg