t...@harminc.net (Tony Harminc) writes:
> There *was* a single-chip 370 produced by someone in the late 70s - a
> "168i". I think it was a university or research institute, but not
> IBM. I'm not finding anything on Google with a casual search, but
> things like this are easily overwhelmed.

SLAC did 168E ... basically could run problem state fortran at 168 speed
... for data collection/reduction along the accelerator line ... long
ways from single chip.

168 had been four circuits per chip, 3033 initially was 168 logic
initially layed out on something like 40circuits per chip ... but just
using 4 circuits in each chip ... getting 20% chip improvement. during
development there was some rework of part of the 168 logic to make
better use of higher chip density ... get 3033 up to 50% faster than
168.
http://www.jfsowa.com/computer/memo125.htm

i've frequently claimed that John Cocke's 801/risc was reaction to
horrible complexity of (failed) FS effort ... initially simplified (aka
reduced instruction set) for single chip implementation ...  and then
later simplified instructions that were all single machine cycle.

360s, 370s, etc ... have been microcode implemented on variety of other
kinds of engines. circa 1980 there was an effort to replace the wide
variety of internet microprocessors used for controllers, low&mid range
370s, the planned as/400 replacement for s/38, etc ... all with 801/risc
Iliad chips. For various reasons the efforts floundered and they went
back to doing custom processor implementations.

It took another couple decades ... but lots of stuff is now risc in one
way or another (as previously mentioned the past couple generations of
i86 are risc processors with hardware layer translating i86 to risc
micro-ops).

In the mid-80s, there was a 3-chip 370 that ran at 168 speed from
Boeblingen called ROMAN. I had a project/proposal to pack arbitrary mix
of large numbers of ROMAN and Iliad chips in the same rack ...  with
large number of racks (sort of precursor to latest rack announcement). a
couple old email refs:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011b.html#email850314
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007d.html#email850315

I had also been working with NSF on what was to become NSFNET backbone
(i.e. tcp/ip is the technology basis for the modern internet, NSFNET
backbone was the operational basis for the modern internet, and CIX was
business basis for the modern internet). Above refs. that I had to find
standin for me doing presentation to head of NSF ... because of rack
cluster effort meeting.

Lots of low & mid-range clone 370 vendors were starting to spring up all
over the place. Somebody in Siemens germany had somehow acquired a
proprietary ROMAN document ... and was trying to get it returned to IBM
with all fingerprints removed. He sent it to somebody at Amdahl in
silicon valley ... who arranged to hand it over to me.

Other trivia ... SLAC had hosted the monthly IBM user group meetings
(BAYBUNCH) and was also the first webserver outside of europe.
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/history/earlyweb/history.shtml

and from long ago and far away ... mentions slac/cern 168E ... having
become 3081E (3mips to 14mips).