> How do the C language and LE prepare a SVC99

I would *guess* that LE and/or the C library are prepending the userid before
issuing SVC 99 -- I have no other explanation.

> do you use the same files to include when compiling?

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean "am I including exactly the same code in
all four or so of my C programs that open z/OS datasets by name?" No, each was
coded more or less from scratch, with some reference back and forth. I really
let myself get confused by code that clearly "expects" no prepending of userids
but apparently that path never gets exercised.

> can you compile your program and see what Assembler instructions are
> generated?

Yes, but I expect you would just see a library call and so would not learn much.

> compare it with your working programs.

I am now utterly convinced that all of the programs work utterly consistently
and exactly as predicted by the documentation in Chapter 10 of the XLC P/G.

Charles