In
<CAE1XxDG6M+fOThgy4pizzKY0=w9wmdxhvt89davm-wkyrtc...@mail.gmail.com>,
on 09/27/2012
   at 11:46 AM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> said:

>Shmuel is correct.

Not if LEFT behaves the same as SUBSTR and STRINGRANGE is enabled.
Both the test Peter ran and the text he cited from the manual say that
PL/I does not behave like REXX in that regard. Peter: what happens if
STRINGRANGE is disabled?

>What PL/I will do is [conceptually] to pad the shorter of the two
>strings comparand and comparans on the right with blanks

That has nothing to do with how the BIF behaves.

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>