LPAR (Logical Partition) = 1 region of mainframe memory assigned to an
operating system.  The host is microcode in the mainframe.  LPARs is
the plural.  It was released in the 1990s as an outgrowth of VM/ESA.

z/TPF (Transaction Processing Facility) is a very high speed operating
system that spreads files across many disk volumes.  Originally called
APF (Airline Processing Facility).  The actual compiles are done under
z/OS then the object modules are transferred.

IBM wrote the operating system and compilers for software but the
individual companies wrote the appliction software customized for each
company.  Yes, errors creep into the software, but the individual
sites have to verify everything works before using their final
software for production (handling sales).

Most mainframe software is closed source, vendor written and
supported.  The CBTTAPE site is where most mainframe open source
programs are shared.  But these are just utility programs that assist
the operating systems.

Without know what the bug is (I. E. Royal Bank of Scotland several day
outage) it is very hard to assign blame.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM, T Gold <tgold8...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Now that I got your attention.
>
> I came here to find anyone in public or private that wants to talk about
> pars, ipars, tpf and or apc or all of the above.
>
> Long story about how I was sucked into this issue, but recent legal battles
> concerning the GDSs lead me to dig into more concerning
> the actual systems the GDSs, CRSs and the modules the airline industry uses.
>
> In short it mostly seems to "be IBM".  Recent statements by the major GDSs
> are that their problems are "IBM's fault".  I've love to see IBM
> follow that up with a statement in the manner of "Stop using our code or be
> subject to legal penalties".
>
> Is Pars or Ipars an actual operating system?
>
> Is it open or closed?
>
> I read that IBM did do a lot of support for the airlines.  But how much
> control or oversight did they or do they have over the use of their code in
> these modules?  I guess I have too many questions and not enouch answers yet
> so i'll end there.  The issue of what exactly are they coding in and is it
> an OS or a protocol and if it is open or closed source.
>
> Turiyan

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA