I'm sure this has been asked and answered somewhere in the dusty archives of
this list, but I honestly couldn't figure out a way to formulate a search for
it that would return mostly useful information....

Does anyone know the historical/technical reason for some products, (at our
shop CA-Datacom and possibly SAS SHARe) requiring you to START a task, to STOP
their started task?   I know it's ridiculous of me but it drives me nuts to
have to start something when I want to stop something else.

I've written code of my own which handles the STOP and MODIFY commands, so I
know that it's not extremely difficult;  it's pretty well documented in the
manuals too if I recall.   I wrote the code years ago, so it's not like the
ability just became available, either.

So - anyone know why this particular technique is used?  Is there some
technical reason for it?

Thanks for any and all information and/or entertainment your answers will
provide...